Friday, June 15, 2007

Serving my King

“Lord, I want to serve You with my time. I want to make the most of every opportunity that comes my way and use it as a means to bring You glory.”

Not long ago, I expressed those very words to the Lord. I promised to use every opportunity as a way to serve Him and to make the most of my fleeting time on earth. The very day that I made that promise to God, my Lord decided to test the sincerity of my oath. He brought an opportunity my way that has always been a challenge for me to enjoy, which was taking care of our neighbor’s animals.

No matter what my heart desires, my flesh always seems to react selfishly when I am asked to watch my neighbor’s animals. Not only does she own cats and dogs, but she also owns four horses, two guinea pigs, eight peacocks, about thirty chickens, three cats, one goat, and one rabbit. I truly love animals, but I always end up sighing when our neighbor asks my sisters and I to take care of her pets.

Obviously, my attitude has not been a Christ-like attitude. One moment I declare that I desire to share God’s love with those around me, but the next moment I squander the chance to serve God by becoming selfish and prideful. When I am engulfed in myself, I cannot share God’s love with others.

In my heart, I truly want to serve my God in all that I do, yet at times my life does not show it. God has reminded me that by serving my neighbor, I am serving Him. Matt. Matt. 25:40, says “….Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.”

No matter how I slice it, I am always serving God when I do things for others. My attitude should not be one of annoyance or frustration, but one of joy and excitement at the thought to do something for my God. Even though the next few weeks will be hot, itchy, and muggy as my sisters and I take care of several animals, I will remember Matt. 25:40 and serve my God with joy!

1 comment:

Katey said...

I wish i knew whose blog this was!!! this is Katey O. here and whichever AE sister of mine that wrote this blog i just wanted to let you know that I love you dearie!!! hugs!

~Katey O.