Wednesday, April 9, 2008

A Success in God's Kingdom

"You are a success in God's Kingdom if you are faithful where He has placed you."

Not too long ago I read this quote out of a Philippine newspaper in a section called "Daily Bread." This quote just seemed to jump off the page at me. "...if you are faithful where He has placed you.... if you are faithful where He has placed you... if you are faithful where He has placed you." Those words kept repeating in my mind.

Right now, God has placed me on the other side of the world. :-) So far, this has been an incredible experience! I am so thankful for this opportunity to live overseas for a few years, to experience another culture, to view another part of God's creation, and to learn to be a light for Him.

Even though this is an amazing adventure (I still can't believe I'm actually here!), there are times when it is challenging to be away from home. Sometimes I start to get discouraged and even began to wish I were someplace else.

When I was back in the States I absolutely loved to go on mission trips and visit other places (I still love to do this!). The very thought of traveling to other countries brought excitement and thrill to my mind. And now that I am actually living in another country (pretty much on an extended mission trip;->), I catch myself wishing that I was back home. Why? What's going on with me? This is what I love. Why do I wish I were someplace else at times?

No matter where we are, Satan will try to discourage us and distract us from serving and worshiping our Lord. He will try to make "the grass look greener on the other side." Many times I have caught myself wishing for familiar things, my friends and relatives, and other random things I miss back home. God showed me that I unfortunately waste this incredible opportunity that He has given me when I complain and wish I were someplace else.

No matter where God places us we are to give our all for Him and serve Him with our entire heart, soul, mind, and strength. Hold nothing back!

"Wherever you are, be all there." Jim Elliot's famous quote is so true. Wherever God has placed us, we must "be all there." We should not wish we were someplace else or want to change our situation. If we take our focus off of the ministry that God has before us right now, we will miss an incredible blessing. We will miss out on the opportunity to be a success for God's Kingdom, to serve Him willingly and joyfully where He has placed us right now.

Where does God have you right now? Are you joyfully serving Him in that place? Are you making the most of your opportunity? Or are you also wasting it by wishing you were someplace else?

For all we know, this opportunity that God has given us right now could be our last. Let's not waste it, but make it count! Let's shine for God where He has us right now. Let's let God use us where we are so that we may be a success in His Kingdom. :-)

No comments: